As president during the transition from Florida State College for Women to Florida State University, Dr. Campbell supported the creation of an intercollegiate sports program and worked to bring it
along gradually, paralleling the development of the new university. One of his most important contributions was his support for the construction of a football stadium on campus. His goal was achieved
when the stadium was opened in 1950 and fittingly named for him. In 2004, the field was named after football coach Bobby Bowden, making the official name of the facility Bobby Bowden Field at Doak S.